What You Must Know About Swaddling And Tips To Choose Best Swaddle Blanket For New Born !!
Got your buddle of joy in your arms? Congratulations! I remember the first time when my baby visited the hospital nursery, she came back wrapped in a neat tiny package, with only her fuzzy little head out. She was looking cute and sleeping so peacefully. It was because nurses know one of the secrets to a happy, calm baby. And that is swaddling. When I master the magic of swaddling my baby, I got a very valuable thing in return-my little extra time for my sleep, which I was lacking so much. I know that little time may not satisfy us mom but as saying goes ‘something is better than nothing’. That little time is also a treasure for new moms like us. Swaddling doesn’t only provide us with sleeping time, there are various benefits for our babies too.
So, today with HunyHuny, let’s know all about the swaddling. What it provides us with? How can you master this? is it safe? And when to stop? Also, there are some tips on swaddling and safety precautions too. So, let’s check out…
It is an old traditional practice of wrapping infants in blankets or similar cloths so that movement of the baby’s limbs is restricted to prevent any mishap.
Benefits Of Swaddling:
As I already discussed above for moms like us, it provides us with treasured sleep. And it serves the all-important purpose of helping our cutie-pie in staying calm and sleep more soundly.
- Proper swaddling helps our baby to feel safe and secure as she adjusts to life outside. As a swaddling blanket recreates the environment that was in our womb.
- It prevents her from flailing her arms and legs, which in many cases can trigger her startle reflex and which have very much potential to wake her up.
- It also keeps our baby cozy and warm until her internal thermostat kicks into action.
- Swaddling even prevent your cutie-pie from overheating since baby body heat can escape through the open weave, while still keeping her snug and warm.
Swaddle blankets/cloths are essential, but what is equally important is the proper way of using them. Learning the tricks to swaddle our baby could take a few- two to three attempts. You have to make sure your baby is comfortable throughout the swaddling process. So, here is some help.
How to Choose a Good Swaddle Blanket/Cloth?
While you choose a swaddle blanket or swaddle cloth for your baby, here are some points you have to keep in mind;
- The size of your baby
- Ease of use
- Consider the size, material, and elasticity of the blanket.
- For size, better to prefer a square size.
- The blanket should be a little stretchable but not very. So, keep that in mind. The little stretchable property would help you wrap her nicely.
- The material should be lightweight and breathable.
- Temperature- you have to consider the season your baby is born and your house’s room temperature. The open weave in it intensifies breathability and reduces the risk of overheating.
- Swaddles made from 100% Bamboo Cotton Muslin are good to go for, which is extra eco-friendly and you will be making a contribution in saving the environment as well.
- Choose designs with cheerful and comforting colors & quality muslin, which gets softer with every wash.
- Swaddles made from organic cotton are hypoallergenic, making it perfect for little ones with sensitive skin or skin conditions.
- Swaddles are multi-purposely useful. You can use it as a Swaddle Blanket, Receiving Blanket, Nursing or Stroller Cover, Car Seat Cover, Bath Towel, Burp Cloth, Sun Shade, Picnic Or Tummy Time Blanket, Changing Blankets, Cleaning Blankets, etc.
- It is a unisex product. So, it goes well with both boy and girl baby.
- It is an ideal and useful gift for every parent. They are even a perfect baby shower gift for any new mom.
The Proper Way To Swaddle Your Baby:
Swaddling is not rocket science, you just have to consider a few things while performing the act; her comfort should be in number one on your list, her willingness to be swaddled will be number two and then the material and thickness of the blanket. There are even different techniques you can choose from. Let’s see all options with the whole process step-by-step.
Technique 1: The Diamond Swaddle
This is the most basic swaddle technique.
Step 1: Fold the blanket in a diamond shape from the top corner of the blanket. The fold should be as long as our baby is.
Step 2: Once you secure the fold, place the little one on it. Ensure that our baby’s neck and face are above the fold. Support her neck while you are swaddling her. Make sure you are giving proper support as her neck is very delicate.
Step 3: One way you can do is, hold your baby’s arms around his sides. This way, the arms would outline her sides. Another way is to fold the hand over her tummy to replicate the posture while she is in the womb. Whatever way you choose, make sure that she is comfortable.
Step 4: Hold the blanket on the side of her one arm and tuck it in a downward direction under the fist of the other arm. The tucking of the blanket should be done in such a way that it holds her arm in place.
Step 5: After one arm is adjusted and swaddled, close the bottom of the swaddle blanket. The portion, which is left at the bottom, should be folded towards the upward direction near her neck. The remaining side should be the one where you just tucked your baby.
Step 6: The left-over blanket from the second arm should be flipped over from the legs to the top in such a way that it forms a V-neck. Tuck it under the shoulder of the first arm you tucked. You have to lift her up a bit to complete the final tuck of the swaddle.
Technique 2: Hands up Swaddle
This swaddle keeps your little one’s hands near to their face and legs in their natural position.
Step 1: Place your muslin blanket on a flat surface.
Step 2: Take one corner and fold down approx. the length of your baby’s body from neck to bum. You will get an almost a triangular shape.
Step 3: Tuck your baby’s left hand underneath the fold that you have made. Then wrap that side across their body and tuck underneath them.
Step 4: Fold the bottom of the muslin and tuck just the tip of the corner into the top of the swaddle. Ensure there is enough room at the bottom for her legs to move and also be in a frog position.
Step 5: After closing the bottom, now tuck her right hand underneath the fold while making sure the hands are next to her face and fold that side across her body. You will see the same ‘V’ shape underneath their chin.
Step 6: Finally, wrap the right side all the way underneath. And finish it by tucking the end of the corner into the front of the swaddle.
Technique 3: Simple Swaddle
This is one of the easier types of swaddling to master. You can use this once your baby is a little bigger and begin their motor skills. It is designed to keep their hands neatly tucked away.
Step 1: Here you will need a large blanket of approx. 110*110 cm size and place it on a flat surface. Fold one corner downwards about a hand length.
Step 2: Place the little one on top of the muslin with the top of the fold just above their neckline. Put her left arm down by her side and take the left side of the blanket across her body and tuck underneath.
Step 3: Repeat the same procedure on the right-hand side of your baby.
Step 4: Lastly, fold the bottom of the muslin upwards and either tuck in the top or tuck each side underneath the baby.
You may like: Hooded Swaddle Blanket Super Cozy-Blue for Newborn
Things To Keep In Mind:
- Give your baby enough leg space and ensure that she can move her legs inside the swaddle. Bed swaddling may lead to a medical condition called hip dysplasia if she doesn’t have enough room for her feet.
- Never tighten the swaddle. A tighter swaddle does not increase the baby’s comfort. It makes them uncomfortable which will make them cry more. A swaddle should only make the baby feel warm, not suffocated.
- Once the swaddling is done, check for air circulation and monitor her temperature.
At last, we know how to master the swaddling skill and make our little angle comfortable. But it doesn’t end here. “Picture Abhi Baki H Mere Dost”. There are still a couple of things that need your consideration.
Time To Stop Swaddling
Swaddling is not recommended once the baby can roll over, as the swaddle blankets begin to pose a risk for suffocation. It will better to stop swaddling your baby
- After one month when she begins to hold her head up.
- When she becomes more active during her tummy time, that is a good indicator that they are outgrowing the swaddle.
Swaddling is beneficial for both your baby and you, but it is not free of risks. This does not mean that we are discouraging you from swaddling your little fella. We just want you to be more careful. This involved the two major risks are;
While swaddling does prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, it may also promote it. Confused? Don’t worry, we will clarify it. when you do not swaddle your baby properly, and the folds are too close to her neck, there are chances while she moves, it can obstruct her windpipe. Hence it can lead to SIDS. Therefore, make sure that you are swaddling her correctly and leaving enough room near the neck region.
Many little ones lose their ability of arousal if they are swaddled for too long. In simple words, they wouldn’t know when to wake up. While many moms want their babies to get a good sleep but they should be swaddle for a limited time only.
Our little angel needs around 12-16 hours of sleep every day. And we need at least seven! A perfect swaddling blanket can ensure enough sleep for both of you. So, make sure that you get the ropes right!
Now, that a wrap. So, after this whole journey regarding swaddling, have you thought of using one? If yes, try trusting HunyHuny Swaddles and Blankets, we can ensure you will not be going to regret your decision. You will get the value of money without compromising your baby’s comfort.
You may also like:
In Same Category
No comment at this time!