Right Ways To Sanitize Essential Items At Home
As our Central Government is taking enormous steps to slow down the spread of COVID-19 virus by limiting close contact, the Do Gaz Doori movement, now we are facing a new challenge and have lots of questions about how we can sanitize the essential items which we brought back from the market? What is the right way to sanitize them? Should we use sanitizer on them or not? Is it safe? In general, what should we do, so that, our home will always be Corona free?
After discussing with health experts, HunyHuny family is here to share the right ways to sanitize our essential items at home, which is very important in this present time to prevent our home from COVID-19 virus. So, let’s start with the main item i.e., fruits and vegetables…
Ways To Sanitize Consumable Items:
1. Fruits and vegetables-
Never use sanitizer or detergent to sanitize fruits and vegetables because it leaves chemicals on the surface of fruits and vegetables, which will harm our body when consuming it.
- According to recent studies, the virus is likely to remain on fruits and vegetables for 6-7 hours and they last less than for 4 hours if they are exposed to heat.
- So, keep it outside for 4 hours within the packet itself. (Reason for keeping outside is not touching it for at least 4 hours.)
- After said time, discard the outer packet and wash the fruits and vegetables in warm water.
- To ensure complete safety, use a small drop of KMnO4 (Potassium permanganate) in the warm water while washing the eatables.
- If KMnO4 is not available, Don’t worry, you can replace it with our kitchen daily use items;
I. Baking soda in warm water- soaking time: around 20-30 minutes.
II. Baking powder + Vinegar solution in warm water- composition: 1:1, soaking time: 20-30 minutes.
III. Salt + Turmeric + Vinegar solution in warm water – composition: 1:1:1, soaking time: 30 minutes.
- For the fruits and vegetables which cannot be kept in warm water or washed, like bananas and onions,
I. First, minimize your exposure to these items.
II. Keep it outside untouched for at least 4 hours.
III. And lastly remember, never consume fruits or cook the vegetables immediately.
2. Cheese, Butter, and Milk-
If they are packaged, then wash it with soapy water, immediately discard the outer coverings in closed bins and store the food items in the fridge.
3. Ordered Cooked Food (Home Delivery of Outside Food) -
Cooked food is not the issue here, but the handling and packaging are. So, try to minimize or avoid ordering food from outside, but when it is inevitable:
- If packaging can be washed, then wash it with soapy water and discard the covering in closed bins.
- If packaging cannot be washed, carefully put the food in the microwave and reheat for at least 2 minutes and discard the covering in closed bins.
Way to sanitize Non-Consumable Items:
1. Cash and Newspaper
Sanitizer may not work on them. So, avoid contact and keep them outside for a minimum of 2-3 hours before using it.
2. Stationery items like Pen, Pencils, and Books-
Simply use sanitizer to sanitize Pens, Pencils, etc as there is evidence that sanitizer work on them properly and for books, you can keep them outside for 2-3 hours.
3. Medicine Strips-
- Here also the sanitizer will not help, so store them in a closed box at room temperature, don’t use them immediately after buying.
- Do not expose them to the direct sunlight as it could affect its efficacy i.e., the power to produce the desired result or effect.
4. Purchased Garments and Shoes-
- Keep them outside of the house for at least 48 hours.
- Then wash thoroughly before wearing them.
For outside worn shoes, never use them inside the house as they have a high risk of contamination (one could have stepped on an infected person’s spit or similar contaminated surface).
If the outer cover is,
- Paper-based then, keep it outside in sunlight for 3-4 hours.
- Plastic or metal-based, then disinfect it using disinfectants like disinfecting wipes, disinfecting spray, isopropyl alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide.
6. Phones and Computers-
- You can follow the same procedure as couriers but with little extra care and cleaning.
- You should disinfect your phone and computer at regular intervals while using them as well as after returning home from work or outside.
We know a lot is going on right now. Sometimes it’s scary and stressful. We all are anxious about it. It is hard to know what we should do or not and what’s going on. Don’t worry! HunyHuny is with you at every step. So, do continue to connect with us. If you have any more queries or want to know about anything else, write to us below in the comment box.
Do share this post with your friends and family, share the right knowledge to sanitize all the essential items at home.
Stay Safe and Stay at home…LIVE CORONA FREE!!!
Follow us on Facebook : (HunyHuny - mother & baby care)
Follow us on Instagram : (hunyhuny_india)
You can also relate to:
In Same Category
Related by Tags
No comment at this time!