Dry skin during pregnancy: Everything you need to know!
Don't worry, it's normal to have dry skin during pregnancy. In this article, you will come to know about causes, symptoms, and prevention of dry skin during pregnancy!
Pregnancy is such a special phase, a woman gets attention, love, care, and everything in between and why not, she's about to bring a bundle of joy in the family! Well, the good news spreads joy in every corner of the home, it's such an amazing time for the entire family, but for a would-be-mom, every moment brings a new challenge for the upcoming 9 months and beyond. In this physically and emotionally challenging time, dry skin during pregnancy is a common problem, here you will come to know why it happens and how to prevent it!
First, it's not a matter of concern!
Women's love for her skin cannot be defined in words, and when skin dries during pregnancy, most women can find it difficult to adjust with it. But, it is important to note that a mom's body deals with physical and hormonal changes during the pregnancy as the skin loses its moisture and elasticity, this is the reason why skin dryness is something that doesn't need to be taken too seriously.
When can your skin be dry?
In general, it can occur in the initial months of the pregnancy (first trimester), and in some cases, it can last up to the third trimester. Different parts of the body can be affected due to skin dryness including but not limited to face, stomach, and neck. In some cases, knees, and heels can also become dry. Some women can experience itching in the arms, breasts, or thighs.
Some reasons for dry skin during pregnancy!
· Hormonal changes are the root cause (but not the only) of skin dryness, Here are some other reasons that can lead to skin dryness.
· Babies are demanding, even when they are inside! Your body requires more fluids to meet the demands of growing baby that, sometimes, can lead to dehydration which can result in skin dryness.
· Pregnancy-related stress can also contribute to skin dryness.
· Your skin can lose its elasticity due to dietary changes during pregnancy.
How to deal with dry skin during pregnancy?
Here are some tips to keep your skin smooth and supple during pregnancy!
· Avoid hard soaps as it can steal the essential oils from your skin and make it dry, make use of mild cleansers to keep your skin clean.
· You can make use of lotions or petroleum jelly to moisturize your skin, and you can consult your doctor to choose the right product.
· It is advisable to avoid synthetic clothes as they trap the heat and can make the condition even worse. Choose the right maternity wear and wear cool cotton pregnancy clothing to stay comfortable during pregnancy!
· Yes, dry skin during pregnancy can feel itchy but don't scratch, itching can lead to cuts or cracks, leaving your skin exposed to infections!
· Avoid swimming pool, chlorinated water of the pool can again make the condition worse.
Other important tips!
· Drink sufficient water to stay hydrated! Limit the consumption of dehydrating drinks such as coffee, tea, soda, or energy drinks. You can switch to ginger or green tea and fresh fruit juices.
· Include in your diet some superfoods with high water content, leafy vegetables, watermelon, and soups can also help!
· Keep your lifestyle healthy, workout during pregnancy surely benefits your skin, enhance flexibility, and some workouts help you induce labor naturally!
· Use good quality sunscreen before you step out in the sun.
So, now when you are aware of how you can keep your skin smooth during pregnancy and avoid skin dryness, keep these things in mind and make your skin glowing throughout the pregnancy and beyond!
No comment at this time!
Leave your comment